Friday, June 15, 2007

The "Wonder" years



Ever wondered why is it that the teenage years were called 'THE WONDER YEARS'...when actually we don't really spend too much of our teen lives wondering..we mostly spend those years making horrific mistakes which we regret, try not to recall and 'wonder' about in our tweens.

The life of a twenty-something is much harder than a teen's.Its a time when you are no longer as stupid as you were, or maybe you are..you just have no excuse for it now.Its as if you have been stripped of the title of 'teenager' and with it have gone the perks like bumbling idiotic acts,lack of judgement,irresponsibility and the ever so desirable "I give a damn" attitude. Its a time during which one becomes more of a spectator in life, resorts to retrospection.Too afraid to commit mistakes themselves anymore, people try to learn through others.Though you may get a big kick out of watching foolish acts committed by those who still haven't learnt the tricks of survival in the tweens, the realization that some others have already learnt the tricks, and have attained complete mastery in them, leaving you looking like the idiotic novice whom everyone ignores...is able to cause long lasting misery.

The adaption process is long and painful..can be likened to baking a perfect apple pie.While some struggle to get the ingredients in place..others get tired mid way and leave it half baked.Of course, to make you feel miniscule, there are always those god sent hateful souls who cast u pitiful looks and gloat over the golden crusted creation.The outcome may be full of shocks and surprises.Snottiness, isolation,travelling,'meaningful' movies,unherad-of clubs, multi-coloured hair, biker weekeneds,spiritual awakening and a liking for all mystic things, however ridiculous they may be...experimentations with alternative lifestyle, and reading some of the most god-foresaken books, all as a part of the 'self discovery' process.

It is a time when you are legally allowed to drink..so of course after a while, it just loses its overrated value.No more of those 'sneak-away-and-drink' nights.We try being sophisticated about drinking,and conscious of our dietary needs..all as a part of the tween package.And while we all try to trick ourselves into thinking that we've grown up, that there's another dimension to our personalities now, the truth is we never really do.Here's some of the things that people always think about but rarely divulge...

*When do I have sex next??
*What the hell am I doing!???
*Where am I going with my life!?!
*Am I the only one without a life?
*Am I the only one who is not getting married?
*What the hell was I thinking saying "yes" to marriage!??!??
*Can I be in love with two people at once?
*Am I the only one who does not know what the f*** they talk about at work??
*When is Friday coming along?
*Do I really HAVE to work out?
*Does anybody know I'm sneaking free drinks away from work?
*Has my life come to such a point that THIS is what I'm thinking of?
*Does there have to be a Monday after a Sunday?
*Is there someway we can work around the "Don't drink and drive" rule?
*Is it true that men are from Mars and Women are from Venus?
*Would I be alienated if I admit to still listening to teen pop???
*Who says Harry Potter is for kids??
*Could I really be preferring cherry flavoured Coke to beer!??!??
*Do they know I am watching the game in my cubicle?
*When is the next free breakfast/lunch/anything...?
*Will I get up in time for work?
*Am I losing a day of my life each day that I work?
*Have the rules of courtship changed?
*Have I aged instantaneously??
*If I walk in in a Hawaii shirt will people stare?
*Do I have to wear a tie???
*Wonder how I can take off without my manager noticing!
*How much time before they realize I know nothing?
*How much time before I understand something?
*How much time to go for 5 o'clock?
*How much time before I hit the ill fated 30's?
*Whatz the time!???
*How many weeks before I have some real plans for the weekend?
*How many days more can I go on without doing the laundry?
*Has life in the 20's lost its glamour?
*Is it still okay to think that video games are the coolest thing on this planet?
*Is it still okay to enjoy jumping up and down on the bed???
*Is it okay to sleep with a teddy bear in bed!!??
*Am I still only 'OK' in bed!???
*Is this who I really am?


And..
WHEN DO I GET TO HAVE SEX!??!


There's a part of us we leave behind; a safe haven we often retreat to.. because the bygone insecurities instill a false sense of security in present day, and it makes us feel good about ourselves,and gives us hope that we may actually be able to make it.And yet unknowingly..we try to rid ourselves of this haven, because we think its time to move on.But I wonder..why on earth would we want to do that??Surrounded by bitchiness, back stabbing, fierce competition,politics, and a complete lack of understanding about who we really are...one is more likely to go over the cliff than under it.So perhaps we should unashamedly save this part of us, maybe it will be the only innocent, innocuous and pure part of us that will save us in years to come...


Growing old is mandatory..growing up is optional

21 comments:

Unknown said...

very well written...can safely say that i understood it...love your style of writing...good job..!!

Ski said...

its a good read... reminds me of all the things i did, and still do.. and how i still feel like a teenager most of the time.. :)
kudos to you..wish i could be the golden crust of a pie, but i'm still the raw ingredient, and strangely, i do like it that way!
Easily relatable and well written!

Anonymous said...

Fabulous!Loved every bit of it!!

girish said...

nice work...
a good reflection of the SELF and the inner conflicts, queries and tribulations that most of us face through our growing years although we somehow manage to keep a facade of clamness.

Abhishek Bhat said...

Well I guess i'm supposed to leave a comment here....atleast as proof that I did not lie to her bout readin it. So here goes....

Real nice work...can really relate to it....now I'm not gr8 with words so cant type too much...but I'd say this...I never knew u cud rite as well. Alwayz considered u a fun lovin person with occasional bouts of sense and the rest non sense..ok I'll cut it at this before it becomes an orkut testimonial

Great job...keep it up

and did u know this thin does not allow all HTML tags like 'table', 'p' etc?

Nissim said...

nicely written...some of these like the one on working out do not come to my mind.
some do.
will leave the rest to ur imagination :P

Anonymous said...

hey its a nice job...and well thats a lot of questions!!!...but then we do speculate!!Probably not as much but still a lot!!

Juffin said...

hmmm..... actually when u read it u do feel " hey... thats just wat I always say " !!! so quite a nice work.... but it also shows that most of us thinks the same way !!! hehehe....

Div said...

hmmm...i never knew u think so much!!:D but yeah, these are the questions most of us keep asking ourselves :)
good start! keep it going!:)

Unknown said...

waah ...through out the read i was just counting how many questions of the lot do i keep askin and honestly i think most of us ask all these questions,but we donn realise tat they are so many unless someone like u makes such a big list..i know there are way more questions,but it was nice reading abt it ..

Shreyasee said...

Loved it Neha!

Unknown said...

great job..awesome piece of work .....its definately gota gud rating frm me...and tht counts considering tht i am a teenager..gr8 style of writing!

Anonymous said...

Neha,

A bit hi faudu for me, but remember i hail from the god forsaken 30's!!!! You write v well.

Hope things are going well for u...

Take Care
:)
GauriDidi

Chakrapani said...

hi Neha
a very well written stuff I must say. beautiful! everyone of us must have relived these wonder years through writing. the best thing I liked about this is the honesty! Rarely would you see people admitting their will to have sex, admitting the difficulties in adapting to things, numerous crushes we all have during that golden period...so many things...good to see you admitting them gracefully (read openly! - even the sex! :D )
Looking forward to read from you.

Saurabh Thakral said...

I am still wondering if I have seen a better piece than this one...This is simply Awesome Neha..i guess ur hidden talent is unleashed..!!

Anonymous said...

great styl!awesum precision!
i'd like to read more of you!!!

Sachin Kamat said...

Nice articulation. Language could have been a bit "nobler" :).
As far as i know u, I dont think u would have gone through most of those questions. But i certainly dint :(.

Anonymous said...

"bold" but nice..... i liked it alot!!!

Unknown said...

ye ye its good ! But its termed as Quarter Life Crisis..... Do search for tht...

Unknown said...

hey! nice! the questions were like sooo correct! haha !

Gokul said...

Good introspective blog....Continue the good work!!! Looking forward to more interesting ones....